2.07.2009

The Small Stuff

At the time of my last post I was on my way to teaching a guitar lesson with an old student of mine.

I was worried I would hate having to schlep around town, house to house, just to make a meager amount of money. I was wrong.

I actually found that I sort of liked not having to keep a physical studio maintained and be constantly inviting random people into my living quarters.

This was a personal victory for me, albeit an admittedly small one. I had spent the day before dreading the idea of leaving the comfort of a home studio, but I decided to do it anyway. I needed the money after all....

This tiny, little baby victory led me to a number of additional ideas and thoughts that would not have occurred had I not stepped out of my comfort zone.

For instance:

...how many guitar instructors do I know of who travel to students houses? None. Therefore I have a unique selling point when it comes to advertising for students.

See? It's that easy!

If I hadn't tried, that would not have occurred to me.

Now I'm off to craigslist and other such sites to see if I can scrounge up some more students, who will undoubtedly lead me to more ideas and opportunities, provided I'm paying attention.

Question:


What have you done recently, or what could you do soon that might lead to a new outlook and new opportunities to better yourself?

Share your thoughts below!



____________________________________________________

Subscribe to this blog by clicking the pretty orange button below

Making It - By Corey Coleman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but I'll say this...

When I think of house-calls, I think of the physicians of days gone by: personal, friendly, wise, and professional. Granted, you aren't practicing medicine, but who cares what the service being provided is? The house-call is a nice personal touch and provides added value to your already-awesome teaching.

I love the last portion of the first post: "I'm Corey Coleman, and I'm a professional musician. It's time I started acting like one."

Good stuff man.

Corey Coleman said...

Thank you sir :-)