2.10.2009

Open Couches And Small Town Bands

So this evening (morning), whatever it is, I have a lot on my mind.

I just returned from a very successful session with a couple of band mates. After the music began to wind down we ended up on the topic of goals.

You see, I'm in a very strange spot in my life right now. Were it not for financial limitations, I could basically go anywhere and do anything I like. That's a new feeling for me.

I'm sort of feeling like a scientist working on a genome project, desperately trying to piece everything together correctly, and avoiding making mistakes that could potentially stand in the way of completing the code.

Part of me wants to just go somewhere where there's a coffeehouse on every corner, and a singer on every stage, every night of the week. Someplace like Portland or Asheville or Austin. Why shouldn't I? In reality, I probably could find a way to make it work. Whether it be living in my car, which I might be willing to do (believe it or not), or depending on the kindness of sympathetic futon owners.

That's what I'm struggling with right now. I almost want to just put out a bulletin everywhere I can stating the following:

"Hi, I'm Corey Coleman. I hope you enjoy my music. If you happen to live in a town or city with a pretty decent music scene, I'd like to visit. I'd also love it if you might consider letting me stay in your spare bedroom or on your living room floor for a few days/weeks until I figure something else out. I don't have any money or job prospects yet, but I'll do the dishes, cook the meals, sing you pretty songs and feed the cat!"

Now that's a lot to ask, but you never know, the universe has a strange way of making things happen.

Anyway, back to the band...

Going into the session, I was basically in the state of mind mentioned above. In reality, I still am. I'd love to travel the world, meet new people, and carve out a life for myself somewhere more receptive to creative types.

We started talking about our short range goals and I was asked if I would be willing to commit to staying here in Binghamton, NY for 6 months (and not explore my options elsewhere) to see if we could get the band to a more successful place.

Now this band is GREAT. Like really good, and filled with really great people, but I'm still having this nagging feeling that I might be selling myself short yet again.

If I stay here, I'll have to secure some type of employment (of which there seems to be none available thus far), get enough money for a security deposit together, sign a lease, buy furniture etc etc etc..... Basically I would have to lay down some type of roots here.

But I don't have to.

I'm not sure what to do at all.

Anyway.... any open couches in Portland?............

____________________________________________________

Subscribe to this blog by clicking the pretty orange button below

Making It - By Corey Coleman

No comments: